Wow! We had an amazing 2018 at the Carolina Beer Temple Family of Businesses – including Carolina Beer Temple Matthews and Charlotte, Seaboard Brewery, Taproom & Wine Bar, Temple Mojo Growler Shop and our affiliate businesses the Exchange Pizza Depot and the Portrait Gallery Restaurant.
Back in 2015, when I had already made plans to open Seaboard and Temple Mojo, people asked me why I would open three craft beer related businesses so close together – people doubted the sustainability of three similar businesses within walking distance of each other. My response – “I am going to make Matthews a destination!” And we were starting with three key components – a bottle shop, a taproom that would become a brewery plus wine bar, and a craft beer growler shop!
I was inspired by other parts of the Charlotte area where before there was nothing and now they are destinations. I’ve lived in Charlotte long enough to remember when NoDa had one bar, Southend was an abundance of abandoned warehouses, Plaza/Midwood wasn’t a thing and LoSo didn’t exist. If other businesses could create destinations where there was once none, so too could Matthews become a destination! And we had a head start. Downtown Matthews already has a historic downtown core, anchored by a 100+ year old hardware store, Renfrow’s, and more buildings on the National Historic register than any town near here.
After we opened Seaboard in August 2016, followed by Temple Mojo in November that same year, Matthews has witnessed a boom of downtown businesses ever since. In 2017 & 2018 downtown Matthews has welcomed the arrival of Pizza Peel, Jekyll & Hyde Tap House & Grill, Mac’s Speed Shop, Pita Kabab, Stumptown Station, Umami Sushi, Brakeman’s Coffee, the Loyalist, the Exchange Pizza Depot, the Portrait Gallery Restaurant, Edible Art, the Great Harvest Bread Company, and more!
Over the past year we’ve seen articles siting downtown Matthews as a great place to eat, drink and shop – some recent articles include:
In 2018 we also witnessed some fun recognition via awards, nominations and press coverage. These included:
- Seaboard Brewing voted Best Brewery by Matthews-Mint Hill Weekly readers
- Seaboard Taproom & Wine Bar voted Best Wine Shop by Matthews-Mint Hill Weekly readers
- Temple Mojo Growler Shop voted Best Coffee Shop by Matthews-Mint Hill readers
- Seaboard Taproom & Wine Bar nominated for Matthews Chamber Small Business of the Year
- Rob Jacik Honoree of the Mecklenburg Times Phenom Award
- Rob Jacik awarded the Annual Award of Excellence by the Matthews Chamber
- Seaboard Taproom & Wine Bar recognized as one of the Top 20 best wine spots in the Charlotte area by Charlotte Five
- Carolina Beer Temple Charlotte (at Ayrsley) recognized by Charlotte Five in their Guide to the best beer bars in south Charlotte
- Seaboard feature article in Charlotte Five What to know before you visit Seaboard, Matthews’ only brewery
- Seaboard Taproom & Wine Bar listed as one of the 10 Best Wine Bars in North Carolina by BestThingsNC (ok, this was late 2017 – but we’re so proud of it I felt like mentioning it for 2018)
At last, in 2018 we saw the official opening of Seaboard Brewing at the Seaboard Taproom & Wine Bar location! It’s hard to believe it hasn’t even been a full year yet. Our brewer Adam Glover has been brewing up some fantastic craft brews and fun experimental batches since April of this year. Seaboard beers are currently exclusively available at Seaboard Taproom & Wine Bar, Temple Mojo Growler Shop and Carolina Beer Temple Charlotte. In the year ahead, Seaboard Brewing intends to extend its reach to additional establishments in the Matthews area and stay tuned for some other fun surprises as the brewery grows!
Overall – I am extremely thankful for an AMAZING 2018! Thank you to all of our great customers and supporters! I’m truly floored at our loyal fan base of great craft beer and wine drinkers (and some cider and mead drinkers too!). Thank you to all of Matthews, our vendors, the town, the Matthews Chamber of Commerce, the Arrowood Business Association, the Business Leaders of Charlotte (BLOC), the Matthews Executive Group (MEG), Queen City United and so many more who have all been big supporters of the Carolina Beer Temple Family of Businesses this year! And above all THANK YOU to my wonderful staff! Without the great employees we have at every location, the great experience we’re trying to create for everyone would not exist – thank you!
Rob Jacik – President & Owner