What is First Thursday?
First Thursday is an event organized by the Red Brick Partnership (a downtown Matthews organization) that is held on the First Thursday of each month. For each First Thursday, the Red Brick Partnership encourages local downtown Matthews’ businesses to do something special – food specials, drink specials, retail specials, live music, fundraisers etc… The goal is to creat a great atmosphere for a fun time in downtown Matthews!
Where does First Thursday occur?
First Thursday is a Historic Downtown Matthews event. Most of the activity is centered around Matthews Station Street and Trade Street – but is not exclusive to these locations. Businesses throughout downtown Matthews can and do participate. You will find specials inside restaurants and bars, you may find live music in vacant lots, there is always an arts & crafts pop-up market and there are frequently events for kids too. Just take a visit to downtown Matthews, walk around and look for the fun!
How Do I Find Out What is Going On or Where to Go?
Follow the First Thursday Matthews Crawl Facebook page for the latest updates!
The Red Brick Partnership Facebook page also provides frequent updates.
Or you can join our mailing list by e-mailing info @ redbrickpartnership.org
Fundraisers & Themes
Every First Thursday has a theme, such as “Date Night,” “Christmas in July,” “National Beer Day,” and more! Plus, there is always a featured local non-profit. Several businesses in town will be raising money in fun ways for the local non-profit of the month and the local non-profit will usually have a booth somewhere along Matthews Station Street promoting their services.
What have I missed?
If you haven’t been out to downtown Matthews on a First Thursday you’ve missed some great events! Back in November the Carolina Panthers’ very own Surr Purr and the Purrcussion Group marched through town! This is the same group of percussionists that play at every home game! In December you would have spotted Santa, some elves and the Charlotte Chorale Choir caroling through town. In February, the non-profit was Carolina Waterfowl. They brought out some of their birds and even had a kissing booth featuring Charlie the Duck! Each and every month its something new and fun!
Each First Thursday also has one or more sponsors. Sponsoring businesses have a great opportunity to get the word out about their business during these heavily attended events. For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Dessi Dufresne at Dessi @ redbrickpartnership.org.
Arts & Crafts Market
Each First Thursday local arts and crafts vendors set up shop along the streets of downtown Matthews. Due to seasonality and other reasons, the market moves from time-to-time. You can typically expect the market to be found in the parking lot in front of Dilworth Coffee and the Orr & Orr Art Studio or on the Town Green in front of Town Hall and the Public Library. In all cases, the market is set up someplace along Matthews Station Street.
If you’d like a spot in our Arts & Crafts pop-up market, contact Pam Decker at pamdecker117 @ gmail.com.
You can also Win Prizes each month…but in order to do so you need to download the “Made in Matthews” app. The app is available in the Apple Store and Google’s PlayStore. Just search for “Made in Matthews.” On First Thursday check-in and register to win prizes.
So How Does Carolina Beer Temple participate?
Every Thursday at Carolina Beer Temple we host a tap takeover event. At the Tap Takeover events, we feature a specific brewery and usually put between 4 and 6 of their beers on tap (sometimes even more). We offer flights and discounted drafts all day! It’s a great way to try a few beers from a specific brewery. For First Thursday, to keep things super-local, we typically feature a brewery from Mecklenburg County. Plus, we always support the non-profit of the month by donating $1 of every pint or flight sold. We also frequently host raffles or offer special event glassware for a small donation. It’s always a great time!
So What’s in Store?
For the months ahead here is what you can plan for:
- JUNE – Safe Animal Haven is the non-profit, there will be dog activities all around town and Carolina Beer Temple is featuring the fine beers of Three Spirits Brewing out of Charlotte
- JULY – The theme is Christmas in July! Expect Christmas-like decorations, music and activities around town. Carolina Beer Temple will be featuring several Christmas Ales on tap – the majority of which will be Belgian Christmas ales aged just for this event!
- AUGUST – There will be a Battle of The Badges Blood Drive on the Town Green. The battle is between the local Police Dept vs. the local Fire and EMS teams. They will be competing in a variety of events on the lawn and will be encouraging everyone to donate blood. Carolina Beer Temple will be featuring the fine beers of Lenny Boy Brewing out of Charlotte that night!
- SEPTEMBER – We’ll be gearing up for Matthews Alive & Labor Day weekend. There will be live music in the gazebo on the town green, while we at Carolina Beer Temple will be featuring the fine and fabulous beers of Legion Brewing Company!
- OCTOBER – It will be Jersey Night, so sport your favorite sports jersey! We hope to have Surr Purr and the Purrcussion group out again, while Carolina Beer Temple will be featuring the wonderful beers of Sycamore Brewing Co from Southend!
So be sure to come on out for First Thursday on the first Thursday of every month starting around 5PM! It’s a fantastic time, we raise money for great causes and you are sure to love Historic Downtown Matthews even more!